.
Saturday, March 04, 2006,6:21 PM
THEYYAM - Night

THEYYAM can be performed on any subject, social or religious, Here a page out of Ramayana is performed. On that day it was Hanuman. For some reason THEYYAM is performed only in and around Malabar Dist. It is quite different from Kathakali. The atmosphere is electric, draws large crowd from the neighbouring areas. Its a night long performancees of different characters.
Lot of fireplay is involved., it continues through the day, I don't have much information please contribute if you have any details on the subject. I have deleted a few posts and pictures as the page developed some problems, please view all the pictures in my album at Photobucket







Daylight Again
 
posted by rauf
Permalink ยค


9 Comments:


  • 3:49 AM, Blogger e2d

    "neyvilakku" and its awesome warm glow.Just love this wonderful madness happening here.

     
  • 5:02 AM, Blogger rauf

    That was the only light there e2dees, traditional Kathakali too was performed only with neivilakku, it was a temple and street art, now it is performed on stage under lights. There is a charm in watching these performances in the temples.

     
  • 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    yea i know what u mean..it is absolutely charming.

     
  • 11:31 AM, Blogger CE

    I wish I were there to see if for myself. Thanks for the many interesting pictures.

     
  • 1:03 PM, Blogger rauf

    you can always turn wish in to will imemine.

     
  • 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    i love to see picture of these events. being there gives me a headache.

     
  • 11:37 PM, Blogger rauf

    Its pretty noisy Chinna, but the atmosphere is charged up, very exciting to watch. I missed quite a lot, as I was continously traveling for almost 12 hours without break hopping from bus to bus. Did a stupid thing. I was in Kutta, from there Mannandavadi is only 20 KMs One of the most beautiful roads I have seen in India. Just 5 KM from Kutta you are in Kersla. Karnataka side road is pretty bad, once you cross the border you hit a lovely road through the entire strech of bamboo forest. Its a joy ride. I was munching tapioca chips sitting on the front seat, evening light, offered some to the driver, he put his big hand and took almost half of it. I should have gone back to Manandavadi next day and taken a bus to Taliserry thru Wynad, instead I jumped into a bus to Gonikoppa which was about to start. Went to Virajpet from there and took a bus to Taliserry. Somewhere I touched ponnampet, saw the place I stayed Golden gate I think. Remember now, Mysore Gonikoppa, ponnampet kutta

     
  • 7:23 AM, Blogger Patty

    Magical atmosphere. Lovely photos.

     
  • 9:34 AM, Blogger rauf

    It was pretty dark Patty had to brighten up the pictures.