.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006,1:47 AM
Light

Strictly speaking a picture is 2 dimensional. You can make it LOOK 3 dimensional if you allow shadows in the picture using a single source of light. Angular light like 9 in the morning or 4 in the afternoon brings out good depth in the picture. Avoid top light (around 12 noon) specially for portraits, it looks ghastly. I'll deal with portraits later. Strong direct sunlight gives harsh shadows which often are not very pleasing. You get pleasing soft shadows in a shade bright enough for a picture, under a tree or on a cloudy day. Please make sure that the back ground is not brighter than the light falling on the picture area. Please try shifting your position. Most digital cameras have built in flash which pops up automatically under low light condition. Flash kills the shadows and the depth. Under low light condition please disable the flash and hold the camers very still and shoot. You have to hold it very still because it goes at a very slow speed and you will end up getting fuzzy pictures. Please allow the camera to focus for a couple of seconds before clicking by gently depressing the click button half way through and hold it still a second longer after you click, usually there is a lag in digital cameras. I am not scaring you away from the built-in flash. It has its uses indoors or in the nights, like family pictures or birthday parties where good natural light is not available. When ever natural light is available please disable the built-in flash. you get good natural and 3 dimensional pleasing pictures. Please experiment with and without built-in flash and see the difference. Please remember shadows are as important as the light. Shadows bring depth in the picture. Believe me, the buit-in flash sometimes proves to be a monster.

Daylight again
 
posted by rauf
Permalink ยค


13 Comments:


  • 10:26 AM, Blogger Bitch from Hell

    are you a photography teacher?? you give great detail as to how to take proper pics.... great tips! take care .... :)

     
  • 3:37 PM, Blogger rauf

    No Caralyn, I am not a teacher, I know I am a bad teacher. A good teacher would explain things better.
    I have been a photographer and the computer made me a designer. Photography is still my hobby. I thought I could post what ever little I know. I am 58 and still I don't know many things about photography. So I cannot claim to be a teacher.

     
  • 3:33 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Thanks for the info.
    I have been out on the walkway taking pics today. I do not have a steady hand and the light was not always good. Then I come inside and find your post! I have been using Adobe's free photoshop program. Don't like, but can't find a way to get rid of it without loosing the shots I want to keep. Not skilled enough on the computer to figure it out.
    And you are a very good teacher. Your pics are marvellous. Your information simply explained without the usual pretentious tech-talk. Much appreciated and very encouraging.
    B

     
  • 4:22 PM, Blogger rauf

    Barbara, if you think your hands are not steady, please turn off the screen and shoot from the view finder like the film cameras, pressing the camera to your cheek. hold your breath and shoot, please keep holding your breath a second longer after you click. These digitals have a lag.

     
  • 4:25 PM, Blogger rauf

    The software that comes with the camera is good for simple manipulation like brighness and contrast, colour shift, cropping and resizing.

     
  • 8:31 PM, Blogger rauf

    The camera records the picture AFTER you click in most of the digitals, just a second late, where as in film cameras the picture is recorded AS you click, the very instant. It takes time to get used to this lag.

     
  • 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wish u a Very Happy BDay..Want a blog abt the special day

     
  • 6:47 AM, Blogger rauf

    Thank you.
    My friends made it special Sangita. It was like they brightened up the late evening darkness of my life. I did not pretend that I am too old for it.
    I enjoyed it actually.
    thanks so much for your wishes. I don't feel alone any more.

     
  • 8:57 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I didn't know it was your birthday!
    Happy Happy
    Joy Joy

     
  • 8:59 PM, Blogger Unknown

    And thanks for the pic hints. Also, if I use the viewfinder, I will save a small fortune on batteries!
    B

     
  • 5:30 AM, Blogger rauf

    Thank you so much Barbara,
    Please find out about Ni-Cad batteries suitable for your camera, they last about a couple of years, you can keep charging them, saves a lot on batteries. I am using them with no harm, its better to make sure about their safety. please have 2 sets of them

     
  • 10:26 PM, Blogger David Edward

    mm apples - looks good rauf!

     
  • 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous