.
Friday, June 30, 2006,9:30 PM
ROAD TO SILENT VALLEY

This is the way to Silent Valley. The picture above and the last two pictures were taken the previous evening. I am posting Silent Valley pictures in Daylight Again
Please click on the pictures for a full screen view

This is how you reach Silent Valley
Coimbatore - Palakkad - Mannarkad - Mukkali
There is another way
Coimbatore - Anakatti - Aghali - Mukkali
I took the second route on my way up

Both the roads are beautiful and are in good condition, but there are too many speed breakers and there is no mark or any warning. This may break your car if you are not careful.

I took an early morning train from Chennai, had lunch with Suresh, took a bus to Anakatti. Had to change as Anakatti is the Tamil Nadu border. Had to cross the border on foot to take a Kerala Bus. It was drizzling. Suddenly it started pouring in buckets, no umbrella, had to rush and take shelter.

It was a tin shed tiny shop run by a lady who asked me to come inside as the rain was still falling on me, saw a man sitting inside having tea, which happend to be the shop keeper lady's residence also, just a tin shed. I was shivering with cold. tried to dry my hair with a towel.

I asked the lady if I can have a cup of tea. the man said this is not a tea shop. The lady darted inside and popped her head out and asked, no milk black tea ok ? I said splendid. The man said I'd have to wait for a couple of hours for the bus. they lady brought a glass of hot steaming tea.
It was a life saver. Just as I took a couple of sips, saw the bus coming.
I panicked.

Can't afford to miss the bus, discard the life saving tea, insult and hurt the lady who gave me shelter treated me as her guest and refused to accept money for the tea, and board the bus. In kerala you are not even sure if the next bus would come, more over another couple of hours wait in the pouring rain. I decided to miss the bus and enjoy the hospitality, Sat down comfortably, dried my hair taking small sips and enjoyed black tea peacefully.

Same thing happened in Plachimada a couple of weeks ago, there in the tea shop I was just a coustomer, I discared the tea and decided to grab the bus, but here I was a guest. It turned out to be a good decision, next bus came after a very long wait of more than an hour, Folded my hands, offered nameste' to the lady, She grabbed my bag and helped me into the bus which was not very crowded.

By that time the rain stopped. got a window seat and the sky was just more than my eyes could take, it was at its full glory, sun popping out and the sun rays falling out of the clouds like a waterfall.

I was sitting right above the wheel and the bus was tossing me up, half the time I was suspended in air and I was clicking pictures of the sky through the bus window. But I did not take my eyes off the sky.

Next day it was very misty, took a ride with my friend Sherji to Silent valley. I knew that I chose a wong time, the whole area was covered with mist.

I was not disappointed that I could not see much of Silent Valley, but the road was just too romantic for me, perhaps I may not get this misty atmosphere again, decided to make the best of it.

Couple of more stories to come, a unique Church experience, I'll post them in a few days. Please see what ever Silent valley forest pictures I could get in the misty atmosphere in Daylight again.

Daylight Again

 
posted by rauf
Permalink ¤


39 Comments:


  • 2:39 AM, Blogger ari4u

    nice pics rauf. especially the ones where the sun is peeping out from the clouds. Im glad you had fun. Those foggy pics remind me of horror movies...

     
  • 7:10 AM, Blogger Candy Minx

    I think the story of the hot cup of tea is very beautiful. More important to be graceful then rushed. I wish our city and work life would have that respect and visiting. What incredible areas you have documented in India, Rauf.

     
  • 8:46 AM, Blogger rauf

    Thanks Aamir, mist was fun but I was not prepared for it pretty cold it was, I was wearing a thin t shirt. Next day I was sneezing.

     
  • 8:55 AM, Blogger rauf

    Candy, After asking for tea it was embarassing to find that it was not a tea shop. The lady was selling some sweets cigaretts match boxes in a leaky tin shed shop which was her residence too. Her entire stock on sale was hardly worth 5 dollars But she had such a lot to give. Kindness cannot be measured Candy.

     
  • 7:00 AM, Blogger Sangita S

    Rays coming out of the clouds is so stunnning..And I agree decision to have tea and spend some time was nice on your part as was the graciousness of the lady..These r the moments we remember always

     
  • 7:52 PM, Blogger rauf

    Hi Sangita, when kindness comes your way when you need it most you can't let it go, its most precious. what fills me up is the willingness to give. Such acts of kindness teach us a lot.

     
  • 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Spectacular Rauf!
    Decission to have that hot black tea was perfect.
    I miss the rains back home...u make me miss them even more.
    By the way..great to have you back.:)

     
  • 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    amazing photos man ...

     
  • 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    these are the kind of scenes i always want to capture ...

     
  • 9:47 AM, Blogger rauf

    Thanks freebird, There's a place called Peermade, falls on the way to Thekkady. Its misty most of the time. Specially during rainy season.

     
  • 9:51 AM, Blogger rauf

    e2dees, I love the smell. the paan beedi Mhittai shop was was hardly worth 2 hundred rupees. But the lady had such wealth in her heart. Such experiences make me forget all the problems. Wish you were here.
    EEEEEEEEEEEEE e2dees.

     
  • 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hmm. I never made a trip to munnar thekkadi etc. i always missed it. this time im planning to go as this is the once in 12 year oppurtunity to see neelakkurinji flowers ...

     
  • 3:09 AM, Blogger Kate

    Calm, serene, and mystical photos.

     
  • 8:01 AM, Blogger Ruth

    Sometimes it is difficult to receive, to be vulnerable as you were with this sweet woman. No doubt it gave her much pleasure to give to you. So glad you caught that moment. Lovely, lovely photos, with lots of feeling, nice light.

     
  • 11:03 AM, Blogger rauf

    I am impulsive Ruth, I don't think of consequences. life has been a never ending struggle for me, full of blunders and missed oppertunities and i don't regret missing those. these are some moments that have made me rich, just some memories, barely enough money in my pocket though.

     
  • 11:14 AM, Blogger rauf

    Thank you Kate, being there is a bit scary though. I had a rough experience carrying music 25 years ago, this time i carried a book. ideal place to sit and read and think.

     
  • 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    For some reason you think there's a dinosaur hiding somewhere in the last picture!

     
  • 11:19 AM, Blogger rauf

    that is Attapady Chinna Tribal area, a bit eerie there. going there again in a couple of weeks. our friend has his source there, he says tribal medicines are different from ayurvedic.

     
  • 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Loved the pic of the sun peeping from the clouds; have it on my desktop now; wish i could travel with you; heehehe, the same wish each time i see the pics on your blog *hugs*

     
  • 5:27 PM, Blogger rauf

    Phir jhagda tere' se'
    Aree ghodee boo did you read the post ?
    forget the idea of traveling with me, no comforts, running and running traveling in crowded buses trains standing for 300 kilometers forget the comforts, you will push me off a cliff. I'll take you to places whewre there are no flying insects. If you scream I'll squeeze your silly neck. I always miss you in Rajasthan, voggay we go Rajasthan when you come india next. No flying insects.
    ummmas and huggs ree gorgeous boo

     
  • 6:27 PM, Blogger Dusty

    Suuuuurrrreee, I take trip. You take a trip. Just have to one up my usual tourist photos!! :)
    It’s amazing out there. I love the roads. The tree canopy and the coolness of mist. You can almost feel the droplets clinging to your skin.

    I wish you could have seen one of the towns I visited. I laid out a blanket in a field of grasses. The stars spread above me and the fireflies danced as if they had fallen from the heavens. It was the only serene moment of my trip.

     
  • 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Glad to read of your rainy day journals.

    Chasing rains and tilting against the clouds (no not like a la Don Quixote) must have been a wondrous experience and the best part is you do it again and again with wonderful results and photographs.

    I have been travelling as well but then my travels are all a little snooty and fancy places of concrete and fast moving vehicles where I can not really take pictures of seductive poetry in nature. Wish I was travelling in a bus,,( but hey hey not with 100 other passengers.... Lovely vantage positin to take pictures.

    Great pictures man.

     
  • 3:49 PM, Blogger rauf

    Yea please post pictures of your holiday Frida, I know a free spirit like you has no boundries. How wonderful to sleep under the stars. You know how to live and enjoy life Frida I have chased shephards in the Himalayas, slept in the caves, slept in open many times.

     
  • 4:02 PM, Blogger rauf

    Long time ezee123. Been reading your blog but still unable to post comments. Loved refregerator story and raptor shots. please check my friend Aamir's blog for some terrific pictures
    http://shutterhappy.blogspot.com/
    and the most recent find, Nancy's blog has some very imaginative pictures
    http://nalissis.blogspot.com/
    Have to attend a wedding i Kottayam on 31st. Bride's house is in Kakkanad, and my dear old friend in Pallurthy south. I may not be rushing this time, I'll call you.
    Hope everything is fine.

     
  • 7:24 PM, Blogger rauf

    Every good thing in limits results in equilibirium Seema. Beyond that it becomes scary. Absolute silence is most deafening in such cases a bark of a dog sounds like music.
    I went after tranquility and I was disappointed. We need activity, a bit of noise a bit of chaos. the most fundamantal aspect of life is chaotic, a DNA molecule, a human cell or an electron, they are in a constant state of agitation.

    What you say is true, we need equilibirium, When a man has a true understanding of life, he reaches a state of peace and tranquility but not absolute.

     
  • 10:26 PM, Blogger Nancy

    Hey I just discovered that you have another blog! I really like this series of misty photographs. It is wise of you to make the most of it, for the photos seem to have a mysterious atmosphere about them. Very well done!

     
  • 12:33 AM, Blogger rauf

    Thank you Nancy. The place where I live is Chennai, Tamil Nadu State of South India, we have three seasons here hot hotter and hottest and it hardly rains here, but when it rains it pours in buckets flooding the city, but the rain in a city is not very pleasant and it gets very messy. So I travel to a neighbouring state of Kerala to experience rain falling me and mist touching me.

     
  • 7:05 PM, Blogger Meadow

    Goodness gracious, those pics are stunning!

     
  • 7:26 PM, Blogger rauf

    India is a tropical country Renee'
    During monsoon very few high altititude areas get misty. When I go there next I may not find the mist. These pictures were taken on the way to Silent valley, in the State of Kerala, I live in the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu.
    You'll find Silent Valley pictures in my other blog 'Daylight Again'
    Thanks for dropping by Renee'

     
  • 5:14 AM, Blogger Patty

    Rauf, I believe I saw this post while I was in Washington, D.C. on my dad's laptop computer in our hotel room. Sorry for not commenting sooner! I am very lazy sometimes. I love all these images, but especially enjoyed the 11th one with the white car driving off into the unknown mist. It looks like this bridge doesn't have any railings...isn't that dangerous?

    I'm glad you had a lovely time & shared a part of it with us. I agree with you, the mist is very romantic & the sky is amazing!

     
  • 2:39 AM, Blogger rauf

    Patty, There is another place called Peermade in Kerala which is always covered in mist, I don't understand the reason why there is no mist in higher and colder places

     
  • 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    best

     
  • 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    best

     
  • 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    best

     
  • 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    beautiful pics!!! seems like a wonderful trip..and I particualry liked reading about hte fact that the u missed the bus so as not to insult the hostess :))

     
  • 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    and how doe sone view your phtos in photo bucket account? how do i get there?

     
  • 5:11 PM, Blogger rauf

    Mystic rose, I started posting pictures from phototo bucket after
    I redesigned both my blogs,
    so this silent valley blog was posted earlier and looks out of place.

    these are the 2 photobucket albums

    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/whitesroad/


    http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k64/5roblane/

     
  • 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

  • 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous